Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Hummus Recipe from Veganomicon

This is my hummus that I made last night from a recipe in Veganomicon, which is one of my main recipe books. I use it all the time.  I ordered the food processor, mentioned in an earlier post, and was very excited to use it.  Having just had gallbladder surgery, I was slow in getting started, however I wanted to try something new and my son enjoys hummus.  

Here is the recipe I used, which is cut in half in size from the original, with a few little additions:
1 15 ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup olive oil
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/8 cup water - adjust to your preferred thickness
1/4 cup chopped black olives
The following ingredients are to be adjusted by your taste:
Cumin
Salt
Pepper
Paprika (Hungarian Smoked) preferred

(Isa's original recipe is found on pg. 67 of Veganomicon)

Place half of the chickpeas in the food processor with the olive oil and pulse several times.  Then pulse until smooth.  Add all of the remaining ingredients, remembering to scrape the sides with a spatula.  

Since I did not want to eat any oil after my surgery, I only sampled it for seasonings.  It was great.  I did add more cumin than I did originally, and a little white pepper.  My son, who had two helpings, enjoyed it.  
The photo above shows the finished Hummus in a storage bowl.  Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment