Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Dinner: Thrive Diet Style

Tonight, we made a few new items from the Thrive Diet.  The first item was Sweet Potato Oven Fries, using the recipe from the book entitled: Garlic Oregano Yam Oven Fries.  I wanted to try these fries without the added spices first, using only the coconut oil.  All of Brendan Brazier's recipes are either raw or cooked at 300 degrees or less.  For that reason, if you are cooking, you must allow extended time for cooking as lower temperatures take a bit longer than you may be used to.  Our variation was to shred the sweet potatoes then spread a little coconut oil into the bottom of the baking pan. Oven was preheated to 300 degrees.  We sprinkled the shredded sweet potatoes into the pan and cooked them for 35 minutes.  They were delicious. 
The reason I decided to make the oven fries was because I first wanted to make the Sweet Potato Sesame Pizza for dinner.  It was also cooked at the same time in the 300 degree oven.  The pizza has a crust which you make in the food processor. 

Crust:
1 cup of ground sesame seeds
1 cup of grated sweet potato
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1/4 cup coconut or hemp oil
1 TBS garlic
1 tsp dried basil
and sea salt to taste

Topping:

The topping was excellent.  It was his Spicy Sun-Dried Tomato Marinara Sauce.  1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
1 clove garlic
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 cup water
1/2 cup grated cucumber
(I added 1/2 cup nutritional yeast for the cream-textured sauce)
3 TBS hemp oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp thyme
Sea salt to taste

Soak the sun-dried tomatoes in the water for 20 minutes.  Retain the water.  In the food processor press all of the ingredients, including the sun-dried tomatoes water, until desired consistency is reached.  Simmer for ten minutes. Add to top of pizza crust.
(In my photo of the pizza, you will see that I did not blend the toppings.  I thought it was great!)
Brazier explains that the term "pizza" is a loose one but it looks similar.  I thought it was very good.  I forgot the sea salt but will remember it next time.  I made half the recipe and I cut it into four quarters.

No comments:

Post a Comment