Friday, July 16, 2010

Live Cashew Hummus


I love hummus and I wanted to make "raw" hummus so I found this recipe in EATING RAW.  I am amazed at the difference in raw cashews when they have been soaked for two hours.  The soaking of the cashews makes the hummus rich and creamy.  Here is the recipe.  I know you will love it!

2 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked at least two hours
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
3/4 cup raw tahini
1/4 cup cold pressed olive oil
1 medium clove garlic
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon (heaping) ground cumin
Pinch cayenne
1/2 cup water
1  1/2 teaspoons nama shoyu

Rinse and drain cashews well and add to the bowl of the food processor.  Add remaining ingredients and blend on high speed for 60 seconds.  If needed, add a little more water.

A listed variation, which I plan to try, is to use macadamia, brasil nuts, or hazelnuts for the cashews.

No comments:

Post a Comment