Saturday, June 26, 2010

Marinara Sauce over Zucchini Pasta

The lunch I made today is going to be one of my all time favorites. I was very excited to dive into one of my new non-cookbooks and so I started with "Raw Food Made Easy for one or two people" by Jennifer Cornbleet. This book appealed to me right away because you are able to experiment with recipes and see if you like them before making enough to feed an army. I can tell that I'm going to enjoy her recipes. The ingredients are familiar and most of the cooking directions are quick and easy. When I first looked at this recipe, however, I was not convinced that I would enjoy zucchini in the place of traditional pasta, but I was surprised to find that the zucchini absorbs the flavors of the marinara sauce and it was delicious. So, here is the new recipe that I made for a quick lunch. It was wonderful!

Marinara Sauce

In a food processor, combine the following ingredients and pulse until well blended:

1 ripe tomato
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
2 TBS extra-virgin olive oil (cold pressed)
1 TBS minced fresh basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp grushed garlic (1 clove)
1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
Dash black pepper and cayenne

Makes two servings.

 This basil was from my garden.  I can still smell the basil in the kitchen.













This is the Marinara Sauce.  If you want more liquid, soak the sun dried tomatoes prior to blending for at least twenty minutes.

Zucchini Pasta

Peel the zucchini with a potato peeler removing all of the skin.  Then, hold the zucchini and create long ribbons or fettuccine by drawing the peel down all the sides until you reach the seeds and core.  Place in a bowl and serve with Marinara Sauce.















No comments:

Post a Comment